Toffee Butterscotch Cake — Butterscotch sundae topping isn’t just for ice cream – it makes AWESOME poke cakes!! Along with the irresistibly crunchy toffee bits, this is a perfect fast and EASY cake everyone will love!!
- one 15.25-ounce box yellow cake mix
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup water
- 1/3 cup vegetable or canola oil
- 12-ounce jar butterscotch sundae syrup or ice cream topping
- half of one 14-ounce can sweetened condensed milk
- 12-ounce whipped topping, thawed (I used lite)
- 1/2 cup toffee bits
How To Make Toffee Butterscotch Cake
- Preheat oven to 350F, line a 9×13-inch pan with foil for easier cleanup, and spray with cooking spray; set aside.
- To a large bowl, add the cake mix, eggs, water, oil, and mix on high-speed with a handheld electric mixer for about 2 minutes. Turn batter out into prepared pan and bake the cake for about 23 to 25 minutes, or a toothpick that’s inserted in the center comes out clean.
- After taking the cake out of the oven, using the blunt end of a wooden spoon, poke about 75 holes evenly over the surface of the cake, poking nearly to the bottom of the cake; set aside.
- To a medium bowl, add the butterscotch topping, sweetened condensed milk, whisk to combine, and slowly and evenly pour over the surface of the cake. Run a spatula back and forth as necessary over the surface of the cake to encourage the mixture to sink down into the holes.
- Cover cake and place it in the fridge for at least 2 hours, or until chilled. For a make-ahead option, note that the cake will keep in the fridge for a couple of days before serving it.
- Before serving, evenly spread the whipped topping over the cake, evenly sprinkle with the toffee bits, and serve.
Storage: Cake will keep airtight in the fridge for up to 5 days, noting it may get more soggy as time passes.